- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 25 g of butter
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dates, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- Nutmeg to taste
- Cinnamon to taste
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, cut into pieces (or your choice of nuts)
- 1 egg
- Honey glaze, if desired
- Combine 1 tbsp of sugar to 1/4 cup hot honey
- Add a touch of vanilla
- Pour over the hot cake!
- Cake preparation
- Pour the boiling water over the dried fruit (you can really use any fruit you want!), the butter, the orange zest, and the salt. Let stand 30 min.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, spices and nuts in a large bowl.
- Gently add the egg, then the dried fruit mixture and fold the dough without overmixing.
- Pour into a greased pan of your choice.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes.
- Prepare the honey glaze if desired, then pour over the hot cake.
- Let cool and enjoy thinly sliced with your favorite hot beverage, or maybe something stronger like a good whisky perhaps...
Freely adapted from a recipe from one of my favorite books: New Home Cooking, by Laurie Black.